Monday, April 23, 2012

This one means a lot...to me


President Obama hugs Ellie Wiesel during ceremonies at the Holocaust Museum


I was first introduced to the writings of Ellie Wiesel while I was in seminary. At the time, I was in the middle of questioning almost everything I had come to believe.

In his book Night, which is based on Wiesel's own experiences in a Nazi concentration camp as a young man, one of his characters tries to console another during a particularly gruesome episode. Reacting, the one questions the existence of God and how he can let this evil happen. The other responds by telling him that God isn't causing this - he is experiencing it. That hit the root of where so much of my confusion was buried.

Now I'm one of those people that thinks we create our gods in our own image. Is it any wonder then, that we create gods that lust for power more than love and empathy?

That's what this man opened my eyes to a very long time ago. I hope I'm a better person for it.

Thank you Ellie Wiesel. And thank you President Obama for shinning a spotlight on this amazing human being.

1 comment:

  1. The ability to even function at the level he does after what he has seen/endured.

    ReplyDelete

Why Christian nationalists fear freedom

For years now a lot of us have been trying to understand why white evangelical voters remain so loyal to Donald Trump. I believe that the an...